Thursday 29 December 2011

2012: The Year of New Beginnings

For the past several months I've had this burning desire to move. To where? Well, at first I didn't really know. For years I'd said that when I finally moved out, I was headed to Toronto. My birthplace. The city is truly magical; it's loaded with personality and movement and life. It's a familiar setting and I know people who live there, so it would be a relatively easy transition from the small town of Milton. I'd even considered Niagara for a complete change of scenery and the opportunity to explore a different side of Ontario.

I mulled it over, and decided that I wanted my move to be something of an adventure. I soon discovered that what I really wanted was to move abroad, specifically to another province. Canada is nearly 10 million kilometres of land overflowing with beauty, diversity and character. There is so much to explore and it would be a shame to limit myself to Ontario. Plus, I'm single, I'm 19, and I'm about to graduate from college. If there was ever a time to travel, it's now!

It wasn't until a month ago that Alberta became an alluring option. I'd read that there are 10,000 new jobs available, with their economy doing very well and seniors retiring from their jobs. Additionally, Toronto is a competitive market to crack for an aspiring journalist, because virtually every grad wants to land a glossy, sexy job in one of the world's hippest cities. At least in Alberta, I'd be able to gain a more hands on experience at a television or radio station than I would in Toronto.

Career isn't the only driving force in my move to Alberta, however. Take a looks at this video:

It's stunning. Did you see those landscapes? It takes my breath away just watching the video so can you imagine what it would be like to be there and experience it? I couldn't be more excited. It seems like a lifestyle that places a huge emphasis on doing things. On being outdoors and connecting with nature. I can't wait for that. I figure I'll finally learn how to snowboard with all that powder lying around!

Am I nervous? Of course. I'll be on my own for the first time in my life, surrounded by strangers in an unfamiliar place. But that's what makes it an adventure! I will get to know people, become familiar with the area and make something for myself. My family will miss me desperately (especially my Mom), but that's where airplanes save the day. Skype will make things easier, I'll phone and email regularly, all that.

The lyric from my favourite John Mayer song says it best: "Everybody is just a stranger, but that's the danger in going my own way, I guess it's the price I have to pay". I'm looking forward to opening the next chapter of my life, & I'll be keeping you guys posted every step of the way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment