Saturday 3 December 2011

The High of Live


As of this past Wednesday, watching live television will never be the same for me.

On Wednesday, both sections of the Broadcast Journalism program came together to produce a live 20 minute newscast, to celebrate the grand opening of Sheridan's Hazel McCallion campus in Mississauga.  We had a team at home base in Trafalgar, and another set up in Mississauga. I was incredibly excited to be hosting at the Mississauga campus along side a truly amazing team of floor directors, field producers, reporters and directors.
Nothing compares to the adrenaline rush you feel before and after a live hit. There's something exhilirating about never truly knowing what will happen next, and always being on the tips of your toes. I want that feeling for the rest of my life! 

Of course, live TV rarely happens without a hiccup. Case in point, I had to stretch my throw to weather because a reporter had to run to give the weather anchor her IFB and microphone. I have to give myself credit for creativity here! Take a look:





"Yup, still clear!" Ad-libbing at its finest, right? Staying cool under pressure while directors are yelling in your ears to extend your throw is nerve-wracking! But, if there is one thing I took away from this experience, and there are several, its that the audience won't know you made a mistake unless you act like you made one. Playing it cool, laughing it off, and even apologizing for your error then moving on are all ways to make live TV more comfortable for yourself and more enjoyable for the audience.

Needless to say, I really want to do this again. Because honestly, I'm addicted to the high of live.

Check out more pictures and video of what went down behind the scenes on Scribble Live!

No comments:

Post a Comment